Aging is a natural process. In today’s modern world, with the chronic mental, emotional, physical and environmental stressors impacting us, we are seeing signs of premature aging in younger and younger populations.
From a naturopathic perspective, here are 7 tips to aging with grace:
- Exercise – incorporate cardio, weight-bearing, stretching and balance for about 30 minutes 6 days a week.
- Eat a whole foods, plant based diet – high in vegetables, moderate in fruits, whole grains, legumes, and high quality fish and meat, and very low in refined carbohydrates. Incorporate a rainbow of colorful, nutrient-dense foods, full of antioxidants- these nutrients help to prevent cellular damage, and can vastly decrease signs of aging. Decrease or avoid caffeine, refined sugars, and alcohol to avoid further oxidative damage.
- Stress management – gentle yoga-based stretching, deep breathing exercises, meditation, visualization for 30 minutes 6 days a week.
- Hydrate – if you don’t have kidney issues, drink ½ your body weight (lbs) in ounces of water daily. Many fine lines and wrinkles are exacerbated by dehydration. Better energy is also achieved through hydration.
- Sleep – aim for 8 hours of sleep nightly. The hours of sleep before midnight are better quality sleep, so the sooner the bedtime, the better for your overall health.
- Increase Omega – 3 fatty acids. Take at least 200 mg of omega 3’s daily. If taking Fish Oil, make sure it is quality tested for purity. Omega 3’s decrease inflammation, elevate mood, regulate weight, and support cardiovascular and brain health.
- Adaptogenic Herbs – adaptogens such as Maca, Ginseng, Rhodiola, and Holy Basil help with energy, stamina and hormone balance.
Aging with grace is possible. For more individualized care, consider working with a naturopathic doctor to achieve your specific health goals.